Jesus' Final Words
The last words of a dying man are a sacred thing, especially when that Man is the Son of God. The Bible tells us that there were 7 things that Jesus said from the cross as He was dying. They comprise His final words, and they are as follows:
1. A plea for forgiveness: “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34).
2. A promise of salvation: “Truly I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43).
3. A provision for His mother: “Woman, behold, your son! . . . Behold, your mother” (John 19:26-27)!
4. A petition to the Father: “My God, My God, why have you forsaken Me” (Matthew 27:46)?
5. A plea for relief: “I thirst” (John 19:28).
6. A proclamation of victory: “It is finished” (John 19:30).
7. A prayer of consummation: “Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit” (Luke 23:46).
Each of these statements sheds a little light on Jesus’ death. They each explain why He died and why the cross is so important to us, which is why we will be looking at them this week at Grace Fellowship Church. If you would like to learn more about the most sacred event in history, please join us this Sunday morning at 9:30. If you would like to study the last words of the Son of God before He died, we meet at 46024 Riverside Drive in Chilliwack. Bring your Bibles and a heart that wants to learn more about Jesus, and we will see you there! – Jeremy Cagle